Domesticated DisputesMaterial Theatre
Evelyn is a Perfect Housewife, stewing in her own repressed juices. Unconsciously frustrated by the dreary duties of domestic life, she discovers, in the course of her chores, deep, mysterious, primal urges, and struggle as she might to stay spic & span, shit gets dirty. A one-woman play in a surreal bouffon universe, Domesticated Disputes explores the wild impulses lurking under the carpet of even the most perfect home. materialtheatre.ca
- There will be relaxed elements for the Wednesday, August 31 6pm show, including reduced sound levels, house lights kept on, a pre-show speech and audiences are free to come and go as they feel comfortable.
- There is a script available for anyone who would like a text-based experience of the show. You can find it here. The password is readfringe22.
- ASL Interpretation: Tuesday, August 30 7:30pm
- Visual story available here.
About the artist/company
An emergent rural theatre company on Sinixt Territory, in the Slocan Valley, in Southern British Columbia, Material Theatre is a collaboration between Marya Folinsbee and Martina Avis. We create and self-produce both original and existing work work, and facilitate community theatre. Marya Folinsbee is a clown, actor, playwright, and teaching artist from Edmonton/Amiskwaciy Waskahikan, who now lives in the Slocan Valley/Sinixt Territory, in the West Kootenays. Marya studied theatre at the Victoria School of the Arts and McMaster University, and with artists including David Diamond (Theatre for Living), Jon Davison (London Clown School), Deanna Fleysher (Don’t Call it Clown), and others. Domesticated Disputes debuted as a short at Play the Fool Festival in Edmonton in 2018.
Written, Created & Performed by Marya Folinsbee
Cameo & Stage Management by Martina Avis
Marya & Martina are Co-Artistic Producers of Material Theatre
Childcare & Schlepping by Aaron Pickett
This show explores mature themes, and features “pseudo-nudity” and implied sex. There is a mild gross-out moment, and a loving reference to negative body image, exercise & diet culture.
Important Fringe Information:
- You must have a Fringe Button to see this show
- 100% of tickets are available in advance, no tickets sold at door
- All tickets have a $1.50 Fringe service charge and passes have a $3 Fringe service charge, this supports the festival
- No refunds. No exchanges. If you are unwell contact the box office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All shows start on time. Depending on the show, latecomers may not be seated.
- Masks are recommended
The Roxy Theatre (Fringe Venue 3)
2657 Quadra St,
Phone: (250) 383-2663